View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #384
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze
If I understand correctly, you are asking me to essentially unplug the A drive, reboot the computer...then? Upon rebooting, plug A drive back in while it's on or turn computer off, plug it back in and then turn it on again?
Not physically unplug it. Just in the Operating system point of view.

You need to fing your "Device Manager" (Control Panel - System - Hardware Tab)

You should see 2 Sections called "floppy disk controller" and "Floppy disk Drive". If they are there, and there are coloured exclamation points or question marks then windows knows it has an issue. What you then do is right-click on the thing that has a problem and say uninstall. Then you can either reboot, or click on "Scan for hardware changes" and Windows will then "see" that there is a floppy drive and install the driver for it (I haven't seen a floppy drive windows didn't already have a driver for in a long time).

If that doesn't work, then I would guess your drive is bad (it happens) or it is a virus or other type of malware. I would do a complete virus scan using whatever I had installed, and Trendmicro's Housecall (a free online scanner). If they don't find anything, then I would find a floppy drive I know is working , and switch it the potentially bad drive. IF the new drive worked, then I know the old drive is bad and throw it out. If the new one didn't work either, then I would need to come up with some more ideas.

That should get you started. (And BTW, be careful about deleting stuff in the device manager. A lot of things you can fix the way I mentioned, but other things in there will 'break' Windows if you try to remove them. The Floppy drive & controller are safe (I just did it to be sure))
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti