View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #27
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Generally I'd recommend avoiding anywhere east of Deerfoot, however there are some decent areas in the far Northeast (Saddleridge, Coral Springs, etc.). I wouldn't say it's classest or racist to avoid these areas either. The major problem with many areas in the northeast isn't crime but it's that so many properties are poorly maintained which causes entire neighbourhoods to be stigmatized. This is obviously a consequence of lower incomes and a higher proportion of rental housing in the northeast, but why would you buy property there if you could afford to be elsewhere in the city?

If you're looking for mid to long term value and can stand living through a transition period I'd suggest looking in areas such as Albert Park, Radisson Heights, Southview, Forest Lawn, or Mayland Heights. These communities are the only places within a 5-6 kilometre radius of Downtown Calgary that haven't yet gentrified and it's only a matter of time before infill activity spills across Deerfoot. The proximity to the core that you get for a relatively low price is fantastic.