View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #23
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Contrary to this, the road system is better then anywhere else, since it isn't so reliant on any one road - either for N/S or E/W.

North South you can take Barlow, 36th, 52nd, or 68th. (Stoney too, depending on how far you are going)

East West you can take 64th, McKnight, 32nd, 16th, Memorial, 17th, ans that's not even mentioning lots of lesser roads that can be used as alternates (depending on where you are going)

If I want to, I can drive home (Castleridge) from Downtown driving on NONE of the following roads: Memorial, 16th Ave, 32nd Ave, McKnight, Barlow, 36th Street (Metis Trail - combination), 52nd Street, 68th Street, Stoney. The route rarely has any backups anywhere, at any time, and doesn't take me out of my way to any large degree (No more than the major routes do).

If there is construction or an accident on one, the system can adapt. And for the most part, even during rush hours, traffic stays moving, even if a bit slower.
You may have more options in traveling on different roads but the main routes of 32, 36 and 52 become congested nightmares with traffic lights on every block (or every second block.) Trying to make left turn across the c-train tracks can be a painful and lengthy endeavour. McKnight, Barlow and 68 usually flow pretty well. Memorial is pretty unpredictable.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: