View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #21
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I grew up in the properties from around the late 80's until 1998. Driving around the NE has always been painful and is getting worse. The main routes (32 Ave, 36 Street, 52 Street, 68 Street, Memorial and McKnight are the most painful roads to drive in terms of traffic, volume and lights.
Contrary to this, the road system is better then anywhere else, since it isn't so reliant on any one road - either for N/S or E/W.

North South you can take Barlow, 36th, 52nd, or 68th. (Stoney too, depending on how far you are going)

East West you can take 64th, McKnight, 32nd, 16th, Memorial, 17th, ans that's not even mentioning lots of lesser roads that can be used as alternates (depending on where you are going)

If I want to, I can drive home (Castleridge) from Downtown driving on NONE of the following roads: Memorial, 16th Ave, 32nd Ave, McKnight, Barlow, 36th Street (Metis Trail - combination), 52nd Street, 68th Street, Stoney. The route rarely has any backups anywhere, at any time, and doesn't take me out of my way to any large degree (No more than the major routes do).

If there is construction or an accident on one, the system can adapt. And for the most part, even during rush hours, traffic stays moving, even if a bit slower.