View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlow View Post
Hi All,

I've grown up in Calgary my entire life but my wife is from BC. We're currently looking for townhouse/houses (Westbrook mall area, south to heritage, north to brentwood) in the ~300-350K range.

She keeps finding these properties in Temple, martindale and all of the other NE communities. Basically all of the communities that my "snob" factor makes me say that they aren't "nice" or ideal for us to buy in

I keep getting called a snob because I am saying things like "they aren't that nice" and "statistically speaking there is more crime in the NE than the SW". Am I right? or am I a snob?

I've been looking on the calgary police service website (their crime report) to get a definitive answer that there is more crime per capita in the NE than anywhere else

Basically... am I right in saying that generally that NE is not as safe as other parts of the city? Or am I just a snob because I grew up in the SE?
Funnily enough my Mom and Dad had the exact same conversation when they were looking for a place 25 years ago. My Mom was born and raised in Calgary, my dad moved from outta town.

My Dad saw the value in the NE and my Mom said no way in hell.

They ended up buying in the NW and everything worked out great. Me and my brother are not drug dealers or gangbangers. Sure they got less house but who cares. The house is worth a hell of a lot more than a similar house in the NE now.

Location location location. The NE is not as safe as you can clearly see from crime statistics. The median income is lower, property values are lower, you are very far away from important family things like post secondary schools.

As a born and raised Calgarian you are the expert on real estate here. Things are cheaper for good reason.