View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #28
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe a team can send him home, but would still be on the hook for paying a player that they no longer wanted. IIRC, that was what some teams were going to do with their buyout candidates, and then the PA and NHL met and agreed for an early buyout window. I remember something about Gomez not being sent down, but told to 'go home' and not play hockey.

No idea if the AHL works under a similar idea, but I would assume that the Heat do not have to assign to the NHL, but can just make him a healthy scratch every single game. I just don't think they can terminate his contract.

Suspension was 'ok', but was hoping for a longer time. If the Flames really wanted someone in that role, I am guessing they can find someone else somewhere. Gillies was fairly 'controlled' last season (at least his time on the Heat, not so much in Finland), but he does have a bit of history. Slamming the guy's face into the ice - a non-fighter who didn't want to fight in the first place - was complete lack of self-control and restraint. I am just happy Carrier wasn't hurt much (if at all), as this could have been such an ugly incident.

I think the NHL AND the AHL need to remove players in the league that do not have respect. Cheap shot artists, goons, even relatively skilled players - any player with a history of suspensions resulting from blatant intent to injure that at least goes outside of the rulebook. A 'devastating' open-ice hitter that doesn't blindside and doesn't aim for the head? I guess that is in the rulebook as clean. Keep targeting heads or using elbows while in injuring players? Get him out of the league. Grabbing someone by the head and smashing that head into the ice? Not in the rulebook, and definitely lifetime-suspension worthy.

I wonder if the Flames will retain him and try to work with him, or just not use him any longer. You do have Wolf (who is tough, but probably isn't at the 'enforcer level') and Yonkman (who maybe is at that level), but I really would not like to see Gillies on the team any longer.

Didn't mention Ferland, as though he is a very tough kid, I wouldn't like to see him take on that role in the AHL. He is a top 6 player, and though he will fight, I don't really want him to be the enforcer per se - just a guy who will stand up for his line mates when needed, but not a guy the team sends out there to make a statement/energy/whatever reason you send out an enforcer.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote