View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #1051
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Really just wanted to hear his perspective TC...I know yours and where you draw your knowledge from.
I still think that your team needs to do a better job educating the theocratic masses.
Atheists, regardless of style, are gaining mass due to the fact we use reason vs faith or fallacy, which is typical to how we normally live. We study everything before making a decision that affects our lives. I dont buy cars/houses/life insurance/etc on faith. I study the issue and opt for best value using reason and education and the best info I can find. The Business world is the same thing, we spend a good part of our lives educating ourselves, understanding the pros and cons of our particular business model. As a leader or Manager, having an employee tell me they made an important decision based on faith would likely cause me, and many others, to think hard about that persons ability to reason within the confines of that business model.
I think this in a nutshell is what drives atheists crazy, why does the average person use reason and education as a basis for important things like business and finances, yet when it comes to something like religion they completely throw reason out the window and make all of their judgements based on faith and their applicable Priest/Minister/Rabbi/Mullahs version of that particular theistic belief.
I think you give the average person way too much credit in how they use logic and reason in their regular lives. People use emotion far more than logic when making their decisions.

Credit Card debt, Anti vaxxers, anti global warming, anti immigration, racists, bigots etc. none of these are rational positions but people who have sought out a set of facts that backs their belief system.

Even buying a car is done more on emotion than on logic or need. What the car looks like is as important as what it does. Just look at the stigma against minivans and tell me that people make rational decisions. Or look at the sheep who refuse to evaluate whether a new apple product meets their needs but instead buy it because it's an apple product. Or how about our shared irrational love and hatred of teams wearing different laundry.

Humans in general are horrible and evaluating things logically. Evolutionarily we have developed to make fast decisions based on incomplete facts and to follow groups. To expect religion, an area where people have been taught since birth, to behave rationally is asking a lot of a human mind not built for rational thought.

Tossing god aside what piece of evidence would make you cheer for the oilers. I would hope none however that is certainly not a rational position.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: