View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #1146
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I think the issue is not how many times your much larger dog has withstood the bites of various pomeranians. I think the issue is that with that dog breed they are instinctual (as are all animals). When they snap they can't tell if it is a child or a small dog, they see kill, and execute. It is muscle memory, and in a lot of ways these dogs just zone out until they are either beaten back physically, or they win.

I honestly could care less about dog on dog crime. Animal kingdom rules, happens all the time in the wild. What makes me very nervous is that loveable cuddly bullet taking family dog when it snaps all bets are off for a dog or kid.

Why on earth anyone would even what to take the chance around their kids, or other kids with that risk is at the very least irresponsible and selfish.

Oh and the whole home defence argument? Get an alarm, or a weapon, even a gun. At least then you can take massive precaution, and lock it up, and know for sure it ain't going off randomly.
But bulldogs and Pitbulls were not bred to kill, nor were they bred to attack multiple times. They were bred as bait dogs, specifically Bear and Bull baiting. Where their goal was to strike once, quickly, latch on to the targets snout and immobilize it. Which in essence would mean, in the case of a dog on dog, or dog on human attack, by nature, a Bulldog or Pitbull would latch on, and immobilize the target of the attack, not continue to attack to the point of killing. Pitbulls were trained to be pit fighters, they had to be taught to try to kill another animal, it is not natural instinct to them.

As for the defense argument, I'm not near as comfortable putting my families lives in the hands of an electronic device, that signals someone 10 minutes away of an emergency. Nor would I ever want to be in a position where I had to take another persons life, which is why I am not a gun owner. Having a dog that deters people from entering my home is far more comforting, and knowing that if someone did enter my home, the dog is also an alarm system, but also capable of immobilizing the threat until the proper authorities are able to arrive.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote