View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
^ As a decorator? Does picking out curtains mean you know anything about construction? Operating a brad nailer notwithstanding.

I don't know how you could have read the OP without agreeing that $25,000 is an insanely low price for the work described.

These DIY shows are just brutal. I just don't even want to start. Please, people, don't believe everything you see on TV. And if you find a contractor that's willing to do it for 1/3 of the price that all the other ones quoted you, have fun with that. I look forward to the thread asking why there's water leaking into your fireplace or something.
I am not sure the extent of the damage/work done in that show. I do know that most shows do cover a part of the cost. It does seem like that should've cost more like $35K, but a lot of the people I know that work in the industry would've probably charged $60+

I, or my father who used to be a contractor, know a bunch of people in the industry and it's usually how many corners can we cut and gouge at the same time. The house I'm currently working on, I got quoted nearly double the cost of what it should cost to do the work I'm doing by 4 different people (it's a lot of basic stuff) if I was not someone they knew. Yet they chopped nearly all of the excess BS if they were doing it for me.

The entire industry is mostly a joke.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca