View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #206
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teams more or less draft a goalie every other year or so. Flames didn't draft one last year, and everyone knew they were going to this year. I didn't expect it this early, but at least they got who they thought was the best one available, and perhaps they even thought he was the best prospect available at that time. Who knows?

As for the Flames having enough goalie prospects - they don't. I thought they had enough with Brossoit (getting Roy back doesn't count, as he just isn't a decent goalie prospect), but the trade made a small hole there.

Ortio looked great last year, but until he makes it (and I am personally high on him - have been since the draft, though got a bit worried when he had that rough year) you just can't count on it.

Gillies plays for a very defensive Providence team. Had a bit of a confidence issue going on (which is, IMO, a good thing to go through as part of your development) and seems to have gotten through that big bump in the road he had last year. I like him (though a bit less than I like Ortio), but once again, he is not a guarantee.

Flames added to what may be the most important position on the ice in a game. If you have a lousy netminder, you just aren't winning a cup. You need at least an above-average netminder with a stacked team to win it, or you need a world-class goalie with a strong team behind you to steal it. McDonald is just another important piece in trying to assure the Flames eventually get there.

Was surprised they took a goalie that high, but if they really liked what they saw and feel he projects well, then that is the correct move to make.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: