Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #35
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Ox & Angela

O&A Review
I think you're being extremely generous with this review.

I went to Ox and Angela last night for the Big Taste menu. To preface this, I have always enjoyed the food at Ox and Angela so I had pretty high expectations going in.

I think your review of the appetizer course is pretty spot on, although I didn't think the dates were that great. Not bad, but nothing special in my mind. The tomato on toast was just that... pureed tomatoes on toasted bread. No seasoning or any other flavours. It was definitely a miss in my mind. I thought the ham was just what you would expect. It was OK. The star of this course was the cod fritters. They were excellent and exactly what I would expect from a place like Ox & Angela.

The main course, in my opinion was extremely disappointing. The zucchini salad was very bland. As you said, it was fresh and light, but it was missing something (maybe some herb, olive oil, lime or salt.... or maybe all four). The potatoes were again, exactly what I would expect from this place. They were awesome. The steak however.... oh boy.... that was a disaster. Maybe I am a bit of a steak snob, so I was almost insulted with what I was served last night. We got a tiny, dry, cold, underseasoned piece of meat on a bed of this neon green sauce that tasted like pureed grass. Again, the sauce was very one dimensional, tasting only like lawn mower clippings. No salt, no spices, no oil/fat, no acid.... absolutely horrible.

The desert, was exactly as you said. Decent, but a bit of an afterthought.

The other thing that was apparent, the portions were tiny. As in me and my date had to go eat again after an hour and a half. My gf and I are definitely not huge people and while I can usually eat a healthy amount of food, she has the appetite of an average woman. Last night's dinner, however, felt like it was a slightly larger course of appetizers. Sure, that's what I should maybe expect from a tapas menu, but generally speaking, if you order 7 items from O&A's regular menu, you and your date are leaving the place fairly content.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote