View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TRIB Steakhouse

This is the first one I've attended that has a choice for its prix fixe. I went with the salmon cake, the strip loin and the cheesecake.

First, my bad - dove into this before I remembered to take a picture. In my defence I was hungry. In any event, I was pretty disappointed with this. It was tasty enough but fairly unremarkable; basically not fine dining quality as far as a seafood cake goes. The sauces didn't add any real interest, either.

The striploin dish was generally very good. I felt like the jus could have been more plentiful as I was using it with everything else on the plate, and though the striploin was cooked dead-on MR, it wasn't a particularly outstanding piece of meat. I'm at a point where there are very few steakhouses in this city that can give me something I can't do about as well on my own - Vintage is one, Trib isn't. But overall, this dish was very good. There's a bed of spaghetti squash under there you may not be able to see, which was delicious. The broccolini was also very good. But the highlight of the thing is that elk Wellington. Just awesome and by itself worth the price of admission, imo. Had this with a pint of Wild Rose Barracks Brown, a decision I do not regret.

The cheesecake was quite good, but after dessert last night paled in comparison. The concept of a butternut squash and gingerbread cheesecake with cranberry is interesting but they didn't meet its potential. It wasn't exactly bland, but it also wasn't memorable. Could've used a bit of a kick, maybe some additional nutmeg or cinnamon flavour, something to bring out the squash flavour. Again, good, but nothing to write home about. I had a late harvest with it that paired well.

While the first dish wasn't great (I regret not getting the salad but given the choices how do you not try the fish), I'm generally satisfied with this menu. It's a set of offerings that are perfectly in line with what I think of when I think of Trib, and I approve of that decision. Still, it was an exercise in meeting, but not exceeding, my expectations, which is also in line with Trib for me... in my experience it's not quite up to snuff with the better steakhouses (or restaurants) in Calgary, and this menu didn't change my mind.

Note: I didn't have this with the wine pairings, which at 20 bucks for three glasses is a solid value (the Inniskillin dessert offering is $16 bucks on its own a la carte). I had to go back to work, so two drinks was do-able, four wasn't.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 03-11-2014 at 08:52 AM.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote