View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #83
pacde
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Really interesting discussion
I have a 7 year old (Sr Timbits) who is determined to play division one novice next year and wants to do all he can to make the team... doesn't really know much about the NHL yet, doesn't really even watch much hockey - just plays. His passions other than skating are bugs and cycling so I plan to spend a fair bit of time with him on the bike this summer.

Im the manager of his team and I think the estimates of kids in hockey in this city are low just going by the number of timbit teams that seem to be everywhere - but really that's just a guess.

Im always curious about how people look at spring hockey - lots of kids doing it from our team and comparing them to my son, I wouldn't say any of them are elite - just kids with passion and money. Ive always looked at passion for anything the same way I see passion for a person - its always better to get up and go while your partner still wants more... gives them the gift of missing it.

If my kid wanted to train to be an NHL player, I think I would do what I could to support them - including educating them on the odds, the downfalls, drawbacks, the training and commitment required and such - Thing is I really want my kids to reach high and never want to stop them from doing that or discourage that - at least if he ever gets to the point where he wants to play at some professional level, I'm not going to tell him its impossible.. I really just don't know

The one thing not mentioned here is the life skills a kid learns in hockey that I think are so important - goal setting, fitness, assertiveness etc. We spend about $1500 to $2000 on his hockey/skating related activities and its money well spent ... even if he decided he doesn't want to do it anymore.
pacde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pacde For This Useful Post: