Thread: [CP Story] Roster Choices and Tough Guys
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no problem trading Jackman. I think he adds very little to the team. In fact he is on my trifecta of must-be-moved list before the franchise can move forward (Butler and stajan being the other two). Last night though, he was not the problem. I'm prepared to recognize that.

My problem with McGratton isn't McGratton at all. It's the instructions and restraints placed upon him. He is being asked to play a different role now than he has previously. He is being told "not" to fight and instead try to be a dependable player so Hartley can roll 4 lines. Thus far this season he has done the job reasonably well. Much better than I thought he could do.

However, he would be infinitely more effective if the restraints were off. I'd like to see him lead the league in scraps and force the issue. If anyone contacts our goalie or mucks with a top 6 player, he needs to deal with it. He is being instructed not to do so by our coaches.

I still think the NHL needs its policeman, but I think McGratton will be one of the last true heavyweights to play. I think in the future the policemen will be more of your O'Brien and McLeod types, guys who can regularly eat up 10 minutes of ice without being a liability.