View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two from everquest:

1) First, there were no instances back in the day. If a boss was up, you would race to mobilize your guild and engage the boss. Engaging the boss first meant that that boss was "yours" and you had 1 shot at it - or the other guilds would take it from you. In one of the expansions, there was a ridiculous number of flags (or keys) needed by each member, and killing the bosses dropped these keys. We needed a couple more keys to progress, but so did every other guild on the server. So, we know the bosses spawn every 3 days +/- 18 hours. There's a ton of guilds kind of waiting at the spawn point right at 10am. It just so happens that it doesn't spawn all afternoon, and goes into the evening. It spawns at 3am - and by this time only 20ish people were online, while you need about 50 to kill it. Of course, we had a list of phone numbers and start calling people (random strangers on the internet), and we manage to get 45 people online in 20 minutes, and move on the boss.

It was basically the most ridiculous moment in my entire time of gaming. How people got called by strangers at 3am to wake up to kill a boss just so the guild could progress is something that, a) i'll never forget, b) I'll never do again.

2) Killing TRC. Spent 2 weeks straight on this boss. A kill attempt was ~1 hour. You had to stay focused the entire time. So intense, and just absolute exhilaration when it finally died.

----

It's weird how most of my favorite gaming moments come from MMO's. I remember tons of aces, clutch moments and such in CS and shooters, but I guess it's just cuz these extreme highs are so rare in MMO's, where it's much more common in other games.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post: