View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #282
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sorry for the massive mufti quote but wanted to reply to all of these in one mmf-bang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So I just signed up my son for Wind last night. MMF- from what your are saying is that when we see "H" beside the signal we are getting 4G; which should be faster than 3G. Is that right?.
Yup, it will be 4G. HSPDA+ plus isn't amazing though but it is a decent upgrade from just the 3G. Don't forget that Wind is the first (and only?) carrier in Canada to have HD voice. Since they've added this I've found voice clarity to be one of the best in all honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Yep, that feature has saved me when up in crossiron, or even visiting the states when I forget for a moment where I am.

I spend 49 weeks of the year within the safe confines of the city, so I'm still bff with Wind and my GS3

And yes, that H means you are all 4Ged out.
Just for fun and to add to the confusion Android has an annoying glik that while you're on Hsdpa + it will just display the H. HSPDA (without the +) is still a third generation communication technology.

But don't worry, it's H+, a 4th generation (4G) technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Unfortunately because of all the marketing spin offs there are terms that are interchangeable terms for the different signal types.

I've always been one to think of the HSPA technology almost as a 3.5G with it being a fourth generation technology but compared to LTE, last generation stuff. Similar as 720p which is technically HD but not true HD, 1080p is to resolution that LTE is to wireless data signal speed IMO.

It would be better all together to throw out the 3G/4G and just leave it specifically as HSPA or LTE. At the very least, glad that Canadian carriers list LTE as LTE on the device.
Totally agreed.... but until it's changed just trying to be true to the definition. Too many people think 4G means LTE and that's it. It's a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidestone View Post
I was with Wind for 6 months until 4 months ago. My phone said "No Service" when I was in the YYC cell phone pick up waiting area. So I parked and went inside the airport to the luggage carousel in Meeting Place A. My phone again reported "No Service." CrossIron Mills? I found that about 20% is very weak "Wind Home," 20% is "Wind Away," and the rest is again "No Service."
It is possible that the AWS spectrum is inferior when it comes to indoor reception, hence it is not as good as the others unless it is used for LTE.
Too often I would forget that when I am in a "Wind Away" zone, while I can pay to call or text others, they cannot call or text me back. That is simply unacceptable to me.
After 6 months of constantly checking and worrying about reception wherever I go with my mobile phone, I had enough and went back to Fido.
Wind may have great plans, but the stress of depending on its limited coverage makes it too expensive.
Is Wind even officially covered at Cross Iron?

Why can't they call or txt you back?

If Wind doesn't work for you then, 100% agreed and glad you switched back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
The particular frequency band (1900/2100 IIRC) that Wind and Mobilicity are terrible for penetrating indoors. The next spectrum bid for the 700mHz is also AWS based but expected to have phenomenal coverage in regards to inside buildings.
Honestly, the strong signal of 700mHz LTE is why I'm really excited and pushing for Wind in this auction. I honestly don't care too much about LTE speeds but I am super excited about the signal stretch of this band of LTE.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post: