View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Wideman covers the powerplay for at least the next 4 years on the big club so I guess it wouldn't be surprising if the Flames targeted maybe a defenseman (Ekblad?) in the first round this year depending on where they end up picking and what the best prospects.
I actually wouldn't doubt it myself, though I have reservations on Ekblad. Seems more like a very great defensive defencemen, but doesn't have the offensive upside of a guy that is supposedly vying for the 1st over-all selection. This season will be more telling as to his offensive abilities.

Some people argue that he is a very mature kid in a man's body, and thus looks better than he really is and that when he enters the NHL, he won't be able to dominate as well as everyone else will physically be caught up. Others feel he is a legitimate super-star in the making. Guess time will tell who is right, but I can definitely see the Flames picking Reinhart/Nylander/Drasitl maybe and then trying to acquire another first from a combination of the vets (or maybe a couple of 2nds acquired from other trades to move up into the 1st) and try to land an offensive d-man.

I can see the Flames' scouts giving Jack Glover a long look - right shooting defencemen, some offensive upside to his game, plays int he UNSTDP program (committed to Minnesotta in the NCAA). Not sure if he would turn into a #1, but I think defencemen are often like goalies - sometimes you just never know. I do think that if the Flames had 3 first round picks somehow this upcoming draft, they would spend 2 on defenders (all things being equal).

I do like Culkin, Kulak and of course Brodie. I think any of the three will be fixtures on the future Flames' PP - but they all need that partner with a big shot and just a higher offensive ability. All 3 are great puck-moving, 2-way defenders with fantastic hockey-sense. I bet all 3 become fixtures on the Flames' blueline for some time. Just need that #1 guy.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote