Thread: Star Citizen
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #221
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
I'm looking forward to playing this game, but am still going to hold back on being an early pledger. I sure hope it all works out, the game is amazing, and I hope the early pledgers receive bonuses worth their money. Its so easy to make a game that looks good, but so hard to make a game like that is compelling and balanced and worth playing for more than a month or so.

Its going to be very interesting to see how this all shakes out in the end. Usually you have your investors fronting the money, and you have to make a good game (or at least a hyped one) to get the consumer's money, to pay your investors and yourself. Here, they've skipped the investors (for the most part) and have the consumers filling that role. I wonder how product quality will be affected. It could be a positive, could be a negative.

Imagine if Broussard (or whomever was behind Duke Nukem Forever) had raised crowd funded money in 1998 to make that game? What would have happened?

Obviously this game is in better hands, but the public pressure is going to be huge. Releasing modules of the game in chunks could be a good idea as they iron out problems over time, but at some point a game will have to result, and its going to have to be good.

Anyway, I type this but would rather be checking out my own hangar with my own ships. Still, I'm going to wait, at least for now.
I completely understand this viewpoint.

I am quite fascinated myself in how completely crowdfunding a game will alter the final product.

The reason I chose to become an early supporter is that this is my favourite type of game and there are so few of them. I *loved* Freelancer. I just had to support it. I honestly really wish I could go back and be one of the Kickstarter supporters.

Anyway, I respect your point of view Delgar and I hope to see you in the game in 2015.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote