View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah, funny how much difference a coach can make to a borderline NHLers career. Under Sutter, both Smith and Jones looked like really decent NHL depth guys, but with Hartley their days look numbered.
I think it speaks to depth and attitude as well, not that coaching didn't make a difference because in Sutter's system is was easier to hide the defensive flaws of a player and Hartley's can exploit it (and the opposite is true as well, Sutter's system hid offensive ability, Hartley's exploited it).

With Smith it's a case of pure depth and rebuilding, there has absolutely nothing to suggest Smith isn't a first class person. Conroy said during the scrimmage today of all things are equal they will go with the young guy. IMO Smith is on par with Cundari and Breen, so that philosophy would push him down a couple spots. It seemed as if Hartley had Smith and Sarich on level ground last year, but with Sarich out and SOB in he moves down another spot and of course the recent acquisition of Russell pushes him down even further. So that pushes Smith down to what 9th on the depth chart? Even if he is a hair better than Breen and/or Cundari I would much rather risk losing him on waivers than them.

With Jones, I think it is more attitude than anything. I said it at the time and will say it again. I believe something is amiss with Jones, I believe he did not do everything asked of the coaching staff or there are character issues. Hartley has usually been quite forthright with us and him refusing to speak about why Jones was benched and then demoted IMO speaks volumes. You mix that with being a borderline NHLer and your career is more or less finished. However if it is an attitude problem I would prefer to put him out on loan to a Euro or other AHL team than risk him poisoning the well.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post: