View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #284
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Edit: in the interest of not receiving an infraction I've decided not to respond to your inflammatory post.
I can't imagine why a post that would surely have been a shining example of rational discourse would have been worthy of an infraction. Aside from the fact that you get cranky when your statements get challenged and you can't defend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
It's pretty easy to tell when your blocked screen phone is sending data, super easy if you have it set to wifi.

An Xbox One connected to wifi or Ethernet would be super easy to see when it is sending data, where it's sending that data to, and in some cases (depending on encryption) what that data is.

It wouldn't be able to hide the fact it is phoning home.
Certainly you can check traffic using a network monitor tool (especially on WiFi), but that's not really the point I was making. These so-called "risks" exist across pretty well any of our connected devices that are outfitted with cameras, microphones, and/or GPS technology. It comes across as disingenuous to apply this paranoia to just one device, and a video game console of all things.

I have to wonder if all the people who complain that the Kinect must be connected constantly would actually unplug it when not in use (except for those who don't have an entertainment centre layout conducive to leaving it plugged in). Similarly, do they unplug their webcams or put tape over them when not in use?

Last edited by TorqueDog; 06-28-2013 at 01:03 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote