View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The current bylaw is that there can't be more than one liquor store within 300m of another. WinInk appealed this and was allowed to open with the condition that they were only allowed to sell wine. One of the arguments that they made was that they were providing a unique service that wasn't offered.

They opened their business on the basis of this restriction. So it isn't that liquor depot is trying to shut them down it is just trying to have there business limited to what it was approved for in the initial application.

An application which liquor barn didn't oppose.

I think the 300m bylaw is stupid though especially in the beltline where density is higher but I don't see why liquor depot shouldn't oppose the change. I would do the same if it were my business. The rules that restrict competition increase the value of liquor depots business. Either get rid of the rule or enforce it.

I would bet if another high end wine store tried to open right beside WineInk they would be making the exact same arguments to try to protect their business.
There are two appeals. One of them is Wine Ink asking to remove the restriction of selling beer & spirits. The other is Liquor Depot appealing the existing approval. If Liquor Depot was only opposing the beer & spirit change, I would at least understand that. They want Wine Ink out completely. Read their letter, it is full of crazy.

Saying that the rules should either be enforced or changed is too simplistic. The rules are being enforced. The rules are that in order to open another liquor store within 300 metres you need to get special permission from the city. That is a much more reasonable process than trying to write rules to handle every possible situation in the by-law. It makes sense to have slightly different rules in the heart of Beltline than way out in the suburbs.

Also, Liquor Depot is 317 metres away from Wine Ink. They are not even within the range of being protected. They are 199 metres from another wine store, but The Wine Shop isn't the one making the complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Businesses do this sort of thing all the time though. Its just sensible. A couple years ago we had a great location picked out, but a bank didn't want us in there, and that's their prerogative (in this particular case) because they viewed us as direct competition. It makes complete sense to me.
I think there has to be reason applied. In the case of your business, I think there is much more overlap with a bank than there is with Liquor Depot & Wine Ink. Also, this isn't an appeal of the first application, this is an appeal on the renewal. The arguments in the letter are ridiculous, in my mind.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote