View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #89
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know how much you know about gear in general, but the hit list -
1. No matter what you buy, it will slide on snow. The ski is actually the least important piece of equipment you'll be using on the hill, and this is from a nerd who obsesses over mm differences in sidecut and rocker profile. So unless you're also a nerd, don't get too caught up in that stuff.
2. As I said the ski is the least important - as a general rule, the closer the gear is to your foot the more important is. A-Number-1 priority is getting boots that fit you and part of that is making sure the flex pattern's right.
3. In terms of those two skis, avoid the ones with an integrated binding system. Those LINE's are good skis - they were introduced as the direct competitor to the K2 Seth which was around, in some form or other, since 2003, simply because it's a versatile design. In the interim Line was bought by K2 and production was integrated. They're well made sticks and of the two, get those ones.
4. Depends on what you're skiing, though. If you don't really ever see any real snow and spend the vast majority of your time on the groomers, there's no particular reason to go above 90mm.
5. The best ski maker in the industry right now, for my money, is ON3P from Portland, which is a smaller outfit that makes all of their skis by hand. You'd expect this would cost an absolute fortune (and other makers like DP with similar processes do), but the prices are pretty reasonable. IIRC, Fresh Sports in Kensington is stocking them but you can also order them off the website (www.on3pskis.com). Personally as long as those dudes are making skis I won't ride anything else.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AR_Six For This Useful Post: