View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Ban Semi Trucks from Highway 8 - Update from "Twin Highway 8" Thread

In the last 3 days, I have lost two friends in two separate accidents along highway 8. The first was on Tuesday near 69th Street SW and the other was last night further down Highway 8, closer to Highway 22. Although the first one involved other circumstances such as distracted driving, I am unsure about the circumstances regarding the accident that took place last night, but regardless of the circumstances, I would like to ask for your help in raising awareness for the safety issues of this highway.

Since learning of the news of these two accidents, many of my friends as well as other close friends of both of my friends that passed away have taken to Twitter, Facebook, and other social media to try to raise awareness for the issue of twinning Highway 8. ("TwinHighway8" is now trending in the Calgary region)

Over the past 7 years, I have personally known 4 people who have died in accidents along that highway and have heard and seen numerous other fatal accidents at different spots along it. Far too many fatal accidents have taken place that could have been prevented with the construction of a median or other lane separation along it. Because of this and also due to the fact that I travel this highway daily, I am in full support of it being twinned and would like to ask for your support in raising awareness. If you wouldn't mind, could you please sign this petition that my friends have created in order to try to make this highway a safer road to travel.

For those of you who don't know it, it is a two-lane highway right now with fairly narrow shoulders. Not only do many cars travel it daily but a large amount of semi-trucks also use it as an alternate route into Calgary, which makes this highway an extremely busy one.

Thanks for your time and please drive safely.

The Petition To Twin Highway 8:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fix-highway-8.html

News Article for Accident on July 31:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...way-eight.html

News Article for Accident on August 2:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-man-dead.html

Update:

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread for something that fits with the topic of Highway and and the current dangers of it.

Back in late August, after the two accidents that claimed the lives of two of my friends, a couple of my friends sent letters to the Alberta Government regarding the safety issues that Highway 8 poses to the drivers that use it to commute to and from the city every day. Specifically they contacted the transportation minister and Premier Redford, and about two or three weeks ago, my buddy received a personally signed letter back from Alison Redford, stating that the province was working on a plan to improve highway 8 by looking into the possibility of twinning it.

However, with no immediate timeline on that project, my friends decided it was necessary for something more immediate to be done to hopefully make the highway a safer road to drive. They, along with their parents, have decided to push forward with a website in order to try to petition for the removal of heavy tractor trailers from that highway. The website they have created provides lots of information regarding things such as possible alternate routes for these trucks, an area to post any experiences that you may have had while driving this highway, and an area to sign a new petition to prohibit the use of Highway 8 by tractor trailers, if you so desire.

Please take the time to look at this and sign the petition, as this campaign will hopefully gather enough attention for the Alberta Government to actually make a change and make it a safer highway to travel.

http://noton8.ca

Last edited by Baaarrden; 10-10-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Baaarrden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baaarrden For This Useful Post: