View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Avatar 2, 3 & 4?

Apparently they are filming Avatar 2, 3 & 4 at the same time. This sounds like a disaster to me, I'm not looking forward to incomplete movies leading up to a third movie some time way in the future. Not sure how much gas this series really has anyways, do the humans just keep coming back? do the blue people face new alien enemies? Apparently they are going to involve Pandora's oceans and other planets somehow.

I'm predicting this will be worse than the Star Wars prequels.

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...ey-weaver.html
Quote:
WHEN James Cameron recently said 'I'm in the Avatar business. Period. That's it', he certainly meant it.

He appears to be moving to Pandora permanently. Bad news for those who are still harping on about Avatar's narrative simplicities and/or deficiences, good news for those (like me) who believe its 3D psychedelia has not since been equalled.

A report now says Sigourney Weaver has confirmed that three more Avatar films will be made at the same time.

Although not quoting Weaver directly on those details, Showbiz 411 caught up with the actress and reports: "She films Avatar 2, 3, and 4 with James Cameron. That's right: they're making three sequels to the blue 3D phenom[enon] all at the same time. Weaver says she has no idea how long it will take, or how it's going to work."

Weaver's only direct quote in the piece is "I just show up," offering us zero information on the content of the films themselves, although we already know Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana are also returning and that the stories will explore Pandora's oceans as well as other planets.

Despite Weaver's botanist character dying in the first film and her consciousness then living on in a mystical tree, she will obviously continue to be part of the story - whether still in the tree or somehow given corporeal form again as one of the Neytiri.

This latest update on the Avatar franchise tallies with what James Cameron himself had said in May.

At the Beijing Film Festival, he spoke to the New York Times and here's the full quote explaining his ambitions and intentions: "Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company's development arm. So I'm not interested in developing anything.

"I'm in the Avatar business. Period. That's it. I'm making Avatar, Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4, and I'm not going to produce other people's movies for them. I'm not interested in taking scripts.

"And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the Avatar landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way. And anything I can't say in that area, I want to say through documentaries, which I'm continuing."

Of course, it makes sense to film the Avatar sequels together so that those involved in all the special effects can work continuously rather than in a stop-start fashion that is ultimately less efficient and more expensive.

The first of the Avatar sequels had been due out in December 2014. But producer Jon Landau said they would be unlikely to meet that date and in April this year Cameron indicated that the next two films would occupy his time for the next five years.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote