View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #24
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Kind of related but...

Does anyone have experience with an attached garage? They seem to be pretty popular in Sunnyside/Hillhurst with both attached and detached infills. I don't have a garage and my neighbours are in desperate need of a new garage so I was going to propose the idea. I reckon on a small lot the extra 4ft. is a pretty big selling feature!

I've got one on my infill - it's perfectly fine as long as both parties are using it for normal garage purposes. Gives you an extra bit of space for you to either have an oversized garage or a bit of outside storage. There are code requirements for the dividing wall for fire rating. I'd recommend getting a party wall agreement to spell out requirements if you need to replace the roof or anything. Other than that, it's pretty much a normal garage. I finished and heated my garaged but my neighbor didn't - it's yours to do with as you please.

One thing for the attached infill to consider if you're looking at A/C - make sure there is room for the A/C unit either in the front yard or front yard (or a specific spot on the one clear side you have). There are code regulations on obstructing your one clear side of the house and most of the time it means you can't put it on the side of the house.