View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #36
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Yes, but then you have an earlier point:

So basically you are agreeing that not only are there the professional scalpers, but also anybody who would have bought a pair is now a scalper.

Yes, I get that for a price I can go see any event I want. I am curious how much demand is inflated by the scalpers. Maybe this event is really high demand and is a bit of an exception; but I'm talking about for other events. Let's say scalping was made a serious crime; like first offense meant 2 years in jail. Enough to scare people out of scalping. What would demand for tickets end up looking like? Would there ever be such a thing as shows selling out in seconds?

It just seems like scalpers create an artificial demand; much like what you see in old movies of the mafia offering "protection." Yes, scalpers allow you to see a sold out show. But would so many shows be sold out if the scalpers didn't buy tickets?
My point was that for this concert the price, the demand, stubhub to get rid of tickets and the nmber of tickets you could buy turned your average person into a scalper. You would have to be very morally against scalping to turn down this opportunity or as in my case and probably many others have too many friends who want to go.

To your other point Scalpers dont create artificial demand. The same number of tickets need to be sold and the same numbe of people want to go at a given price. Panic creates artificial demand as people are scared at not being able to go. I would bet that the week or so before Garth Brooks you will be able to buy tickets at around 150 per seat which is pretty standard stampede headline concert price.

Look at past major events like the heritage classic and the grey cup. At the Heritage classic despite high prices right when tickets were released to the public you couldnt get tickets for anywhere near face value. The few days before the game you could get tickets at or below face.

When the Grey Cup was in Calgary and the Riders made it the Monday and Tuesday of the week tickets were going for double face as people paniced trying to secure tickets. The day of the game I picked up a pair for some friends for 20% less than face.

Demand and Supply of tickets are both constant, fear drives the market. Right now fear is at its highest amoungst buyers and lowest amoungst sellers so prices will not get higher than they are now except at maybe an hour before the concert assuming there are very few tickets left.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote