View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails did something interesting on their farewell tour to thwart scalpers & make good on the inflated prices people would pay. They opted to auction tickets off themselves (I believe it was 15-20 pairs per show) in special VIP/Meet & Greet packages and donate the money to cover a fans medical bills & donate to the charity associated with the fan's condition.

So essentially fans were still paying 100's/1000's above face value this allowed the artist to have some say in where the inflated cost went.

This was in addition to the usual paperless ticket system more artist/tours are moving towards.

At the end of the day there is a gap between the market value for event tickets (what some one is willing/able to pay) and what the vendor (ticketb*******) is currently selling for. Now it could be argued that this is the result of artificial inflation created by the scalpers, and I wouldn't disagree, but either way the vendor/artist are leaving money on the table with their current model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Well then either he's an idiot or he should set up a system that actually allows that to happen. Radiohead manage to severely limit the ability of scalpers to operate by limiting purchases to 2 tickets and requiring purchasers with ID to use the tickets (along with a guest who must be with them).

The whole 'I just want my real fans to be able to afford it' line is nothing but an attempt to play to a good guy image if he's not taking the steps to actually make that the case.
Further to both these posts, NIN made it so that you had to present ID and CC to get your tickets, they were only available at the will call and as soon as you got them you had to go inside. My name was even on the tickets.

Makes getting in a bit tricky (and not every ticket was personalized, just the presale tickets IIRC) as it takes longer but it meant there was pretty much no secondary market.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: