View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #29
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would think very carefully before becoming a vegetarian for health reasons. I can (almost) understand it for moral reasons ...but there is very little GOOD scientific evidence promoting the health benefits of vegetarianism.

Would it surprise you to know that the consensus now sweeping across the cardiology world is that processed carbohydrates are the number one cause of heart disease, NOT the intake of saturated fat?

Don't get me wrong, fruits and vegestables are obviously very imprortant for health ...but lean, grass fed, free range, omega 3 rich, antibiotic and hormone free animal protein sources are absolutely vital to your health.

Rice, nut, pea, tofu, etc are 'third world' proteins as far as your body is concerned.

Grab a book like The Primal Blueprint for a fun read about this sort of thing. Or get Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes if you really want to geek out on it.

Obviously do whatever you think is best. I am not a doctor. I am, however, a biologist with a keen interest in this topic and I've tried to study it with an objective mind over the past 15 years. I can also unequivocally state, at this point, that cutting meat out of your diet is not the answer to curing heart disease.