View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am on mac, currently using Logic Pro 9 and learning Pro Tools 9.

The only thing I can offer my advice on what software is that use something overly easy to use, then "try" out a few more expensive ones. when you pick what you want/like out of the expensive then go with it and they are all similar but all have completely different shortcuts/ways to do things.

The other thing you will learn with amp modeling is they sound good with the presets, once you start mucking around some they start to sound not so good or completely terrible.

With your acoustic definantly get a decent mic (even rent one for a month at L&M) to play with as well as having the direct input from the pickup, this way you can pick up the room/guitar harmonics/string sound and then mix them together or pan them left and right to have a very nice prnounced however "real" sound to the recording.

Also there is great podcasts and forums dedicated to home recording that have alot of info in them, obviously for free so i learned a bunch of tricks from them.

This is my current setup

27" imac
Yamaha HSM80's
(in my rack)
Presonus Firestudio Project
power conditioner
SWR amp

In the end, be prepared to listen to what your playing and picking out ALOT of stuff you are doing wrong, wether it be string noise, muffled strings, etc. It is fun though, rpetty easy to kill and evening just playing around.

Last edited by MrSector9; 08-27-2011 at 09:47 PM.
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote