View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #1012
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I did look it over, and I agree that it is all very interesting work. However, this does not change my opinion that the search for the flood is a fool's errand. Such a pursuit utterly misses the intent and purpose of the early flood myths, which served to enforce an ancient conception of order in nature that was sustained through religious practice. My concern is that in attempting to draw connections between these myths and actual events lends to the mistaken notion that there is any actual historical information in this literature. There is not—at least not insofar as it is discernible.
Oh i got that. But i don't think you can deny the fact that if anything the bible could be and prob is a book of history of a certain periods of the human race. There may be a lot of telephone, filler, junk and BS mixed in with some truths.. but i don't think it's hard to pull out what could be true and what is mere fabrication...A flood at the end of the last ice age - is more than likely true. As someone who is not religious and a science degree to boot...I cannot myself just ignore these things just so it maintains no credibility.

For years scientists told us there was no way the pacific northwest was geologically active, no way they said that earthquakes of monster size could happen here. Meanwhile in local native folklore there were plenty of stories past down about the area, about the where to live and where not to live and stories about the great earthquake of 1700. All that was ignored, not investigated or passed off as a bunch of baloney....until by accident they started to find evidence..and those stories had some fire to them. I understand that mere folklore isn't proof of anything, but to not at least use it as a basis for a scientific investigation is wrong. Accidently walking into evidence of a great earthquake years after some investigation could of started, does us a great diservice in this respect.

Science should know no bias and should never be a matter of fact.

Honestly i could care less about whats in the Bible, but science is fun - regardless if anything that may be theorized as true, doesn't change my opinion of the dam book

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 07-28-2011 at 04:59 PM.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote