View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #36
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Late to the party, but I had a few thoughts to add.

Reasons to use a realtor include, but are not limited to:

Buyer's agent can and should pull title to the property and review the title before an offer is made. Technically, Joe Public can do this himself, but does Joe Public know what to think when he sees a reservation agreement on title or a road widening plan, or a development agreement?

Buyer's agent is in a fiduciary relationship with Buyer meaning the agent has a duty of 'utmost good faith' to the Buyer and consequences if such duty is not upheld. This duty ensures that the level of service you are receiving from the agent representing you is not diluted in any way by divided loyalties. DementedReality's earlier comment about motivation is a perfect example. While it is true that the listing agent would not be allowed to disclose the Seller"s motivation, if you have a savvy Buyer's agent who pulls title and notices that there is a CLP on title that looks like it was filed by a spuse, there is nothing at all wrong with that Buyer's agent suggesting to the Buyer that it looks as though there may be a divorce motivating the sale. The Buyer's agent has not duty to the Seller to keep the Seller's motivation hidden, except where the buyer's agent is a dual agent.

Buyer's agent has E&O insurance.

Those are just a few reasons to use a Buyer's agent.

BTW, in answer to the question about signing a Buyer's Agency/Brokerage Agreement right off the bat, I would not call it a warning sign. I always recommend to new realtors that will be representing buyers that they make a habit of it. Some do, some don't. Often the guys who've been a round for a few years and have been burned by a Buyer or three stringing them along will start asking for the agreement up front.