Thread: iPhone 5 and 6
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #30
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Come on, even the biggest Apple fanboy has to admit that a removable battery isn't something that detracts from a phone and is in fact, a beneficial feature for many people.

Just because Apple doesn't allow their customers to do this doesn't mean that you have to rag on people who wish for such things and continue defending Apple to the death.

Given how fast batteries are consumed by modern smartphones, it would be nice to just be able to carry a spare in your pocket and put it in when your phone dies halfway through the day if you use it often. It's not always convenient to charge a phone overnight or for a couple hours or be tethered to something. I certainly do this with laptops and my phones and my digital cameras. A spare battery is a lifesaver in certain situations or on long trips when travelling.

Adjusting your use when you are away from a socket is perfectly fine, but a spare battery solves this easily and allows you to keep using YOUR device, the way YOU want. There are some options out there, like aftermarket spare batteries that plug into the bottom port but they make your iPhone like 2 inches longer.

A removable battery is not a difficult thing to implement and not something that would harm the aesthetics of the device either. Also, keep in mind that over the course of a year of regular use, the efficiency of a lithium ion battery will go down around 20-25% so you will have less power the longer you own your phone.

As far as the arguments go for dealing with a frozen iPhone, My friend's iPhone 3GS would not reboot nomatter what we tried. I eventually had to physically disassemble his phone and unplug the battery from the motherboard to get it to reset itself. This of course entailed potentially breaking many delicate parts and flimsy ribbon connectors but there was no choice.

If Apple devices had removable batteries, Apple users would be singing the praises of them all day long. There is absolutely no good reason for iPhones to not have removable batteries other than the fact that Apple makes a lot of money off battery replacements/repair service. If you've seen some knockoff iPhone 4s (the latest ones look identical), the back cover just slides off and it doesn't detract from the look of the phone at all.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-19-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: