View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Firmware upgrade locks Samsung printers to 3rd party toner?

bump for info request or warning

I'm looking for a monochrome laser printer for the home and was interested in the Samsung SCX-4623F

http://www.trustedreviews.com/printe...-All-in-One/p1

the reviews sound pretty good, except several posted reviews on Amazon said that a firmware upgrade locks out third party toners, for example:

Quote:
First, DO NOT DOWN LOAD ANY FIRMWARE UPDATE from Samsung. They prompted me to install a firmware upgrade for a "bug" in the printer copier. There has been no issue with it. All has been working fine. Until after the install. I have been buying off-label (Green Apple brand) toner/drum cartridges which save me a bit of money (not alot). I have 2 for backup. Immediately after installing the firmware upgrade, the copier will not recognize the toner. Saying "Incompatible toner cartridge installed".
anyone have a Samsung printer? Is it locked to non-Samsung toners out of the box, or do you have to dowload the firmware update for this to happen? If it's the latter, then I'd still be interested in the printer, I just won't upgrade the firmware, but if it's locked out of the box, then might have to reconsider. Does HP or other printer manufacturers do this?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote