View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #144
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Would it work if I got the 2.1GHz processor with 4GB? Though I guess even if it did suit my needs, it's probably wouldn't be a great use of $1800.
I should clarify that I'm talking about using the MacBook Air as my primary machine for pretty heavy web development. I spend anywhere between 8-12hrs per day doing it. At any given time I'll have Apache/MySQL/PHP going, Safari, Firefox, Textmate, Photoshop, SVNX, Adium, Twitterific, and one or more VirtualBox instances with a full Windows XP OS running on it. For that kind of workload the 2.4Ghz C2D MBP just cuts it. I've wished a few times that I'd sprung for the i7.

The MacBook Air is not intended to be a powerful workstation, so as long as you don't expect it to be, you'll probably be very happy with it. Photoshop will not be snappy (possibly even sluggish) but if you're not spending all day in it, is it really a big deal?

$1800 seems really steep for the 2.1Ghz to me. You can always buy a 1.8Ghz out and return it if it isn't going to cut it...

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote