View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #69
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
As per the North Central route, I noticed in the first post in the airport section a discussion involving a European style tram running from the Airport to Center Street downtown. This totally makes sense, especially regarding the North Central alignment. A central hub in the north with High speed rail, Center street tram/Airport tram and North Central LRT? Totally explains the route. Besides, in the far south and NW (the only routes I'm familiar with) a big issue regarding LRT use is that the trains are full by the time you reach the 3rd stop, so all those stops in the middle make a lot less sense. The tram, however, really does make sense.
Are you arguing that we should build the less useful route to deter people from filling it up?

As noted, the Center Street alignment would have much higher capacity than the Deerfoot alignment, and once the 8th Ave Subway is finished the S/NW line will also have much, much higher capacity. Before that, 4 car trains will help a little. This might sound crazy, but I think we should build the routes that will have high ridership and high capacity instead of low ridership and low capacity.

What I don't get though is why we're not upgrading the S platforms before the NE, since S has the highest ridership. Just shift the alignment, temporarily to S-W and NW-NE until the whole system is four cars, so that S gets the 4 car trains ASAP, as they are badly needed there.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote