View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #238
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
You can buy a 2.5T and 2x jack stands at Cdn Tire for $50. You can take the lug nuts off by hand using the wrench that comes with the car. You really don't need pneumatic tools to do it. It's 16 or 20 nuts depending.

You should use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs back on. Should be in ft-lb, which is a measurement of torque. Read your user manual to see how tight the lugs should be. I would guess it should be in the 100ft-lb range.
They usually give a range on how tight it should be. I know for a Mazda 3 (which, as someone mentions, probably half the board drives one) is ~85 ft-lbs.

Don't over tighten too much or you could damage the studs and possibly warp your brake rotor.

And I don't use the wrench from my car. I have a 2' breaker bar, about $10-15 at Princess Auto, takes less effort with that to remove the lug nuts than the car wrench.

And as an aside, for the people who use the emergency jack from their car to change their winter tires. While they work, watch out for the fact that he emergency jack is not designed to be used like that. That jack will give out on you sooner or later.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote