View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #215
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
They your rims look like butt for 8 months of the year. I just got a second set of alloys for the Mrs. Only a few hundred bucks more than the steel rims.
I lucked out and found alloys on Kijiji that were the exact size and bolt pattern that I needed, and had winter tires with quite a bit of tread left on them. I was really only looking for the rims to put new winters on them.

What made the find even more lucky and beneficial to me was that I was wanting to run 15 inch rims (instead of 16) in the winter to save some money on the tires (higher-profile = cheaper winter tires generally), and that particular tire and 15" rim combo was pretty much exactly the same circumference as my 16" tire and rim combo. An inch smaller on the rim and an inch larger on the tire.

The main consideration when doing something like that is whether or not it will fit over your brakes. I did some quick measurements before handing over the cash as I felt confident that they would, plus I had also done some research online and other people with my same car had reported some success. I walked away with alloys and decent winter tires with a few years of tread left on them for less than $500.

If I didn't find alloys that were the right size, I would have picked up some black steelies anyway.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote