View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #136
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm enjoying it so far. I have watched some random shows, some Little Britain, a strange documentary on a couple of guys that are stalkers of Tiffany, and some of Shortbus to see Sook Yin's boobies (a bit of a let down). And regarding Shortbus, I'm no prude, but it is very erotic (and homo-erotic) and contained way too much schlong. But I digress.

The best thing that I have watched so far is Wild China (just the first episode so far). It is a beautifully filmed documentary series in the typical BBC style. David Attenborough does not narrate this one, but it is still well worth it.

The movies start to stream after about 10 seconds of buffering on my PS3. I haven't had anything stutter or drop out on me. I did notice at one point the picture became a little pixellated briefly but quickly recovered. The PS3 blu-ray remote works really well, skipping ahead and back isn't bad either, even though it kind of does it in chunks as opposed to the usual "seeking" that you can do with a disc.

iPhone app works nicely, even when I tried it briefly on 3G. On wifi at home it is nice and clear and actually better than I had expected.

Best thing about it: being able to resume your show at the point where you left it, even on different devices. iPhone, PS3, PC, etc. all pick up where you left off, no matter what you were watching it on before.

The thing that I am warming up to: The selection. If you're looking for blockbusters, first-run, etc. movies, you're going to be disappointed. For older titles, British TV, documentaries, the occasional movie, etc. it is probably worth the $8 a month for me. For a while at least. By then I'm hoping that more distributors come on board because eventually I'll be looking for something fresh.

Tangent: NBC and Netflix just announced that next week they will be rolling out some more shows (Saturday Night Live among others). No specific mention of Canada, but I'm guessing that the distribution rights are different for Canada and that we'll be left out again. And then the Canadian distributors will whine and cry that they are losing money to piracy instead of actually letting people pay for their content on Netflix.

The thing that sucks: No queue. I want to be able to save a list of things that I want to watch. The US version has this, and I can't quite fathom why it wouldn't be available here.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: