View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #159
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
It's very true. I had my dog put down this past Tuesday, and when I walked in, everyone was giving me the head tilted to the side I'm so sorry look. When I walked out, no one made eye contact at all.

It's a hard enough decision to make, but the even tougher thing is to actually carry it out. I brought my dog in and I had trouble looking at her, because I felt like she was giving me the "Why are you letting them do this to me? You're supposed to protect me" look. It's so painful, you know it's for the best, but it's just brutal.

The other thing was that my vet seemed somewhat callous about the whole thing. Granted, I was certainly in a very sensitive state, but he walked in and said "sorry about this," but there didn't seem to be any sincerity at all there. Then, after it was done, I asked what happens now and he started on about putting her in a bag and then a freezer with the other euthanized animals, before the truck comes at the end of the week to pick up the bodies. I wasn't expecting some story about putting her in a golden coffin while someone recites a prayer, but he must have said 'freezer' and 'body' 20 times in his little two minute explanation.
Your sensitive state has nothing to do with that ... that's just brutal bedside manner. I understand it's a tough job and you have to look at the animals as bodies and not somebodys best friend to keep yourself sane, but for chrissakes you can at least fake it for the sake of the patient!

Condolences on your loss, that's incredibly sad.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post: