Thread: Mafia II demo
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rented for the Xbox 360:

The demo did not do this game justice. While it is still fairly linear, the graphics are so much more refined. The mechanics are more refined. This game definitely looks and feels better than the demo. The lock-picking is neat, but the shoot/cover thing is overused and has been done in other games much better. I read that review, and I have to disagree about the city and how it feels 'empty'. There have already been a few 'a-ha' moments just walking around and coming upon something happening. Lots of conversations, people arguing/fighting, etc.

For a game relying heavily on it's story and cut-scenes, I'm a bit disappointed by the quality of them (not graphically). The two main characters seem so stiff, and Joe especially seems to lack any expression. The lip-synching is also very poorly done. And if you have to read anything on the screen I hope you have a big one to do it from. The text is tiny....I turned on subtitles and found I am better off just cranking the volume.

The story seems compelling. Any script with 'fugetaboutit' in it usually grabs me anyway. Also, the game looks amazing. From walking down the street to zipping by on the highway, it is a visual feast. You can interact with countless objects, and a bullet hole looks and happens like a real bullet hole. Concrete flies around in shoot outs and dust settles so beautifully. The soundtrack is exceptional, and the news bits on the radio tell a bit of history. There was a bit about Stalin not being invited to divide up territory.

I'm still only 3 or 4 chapters in so take this review for what it's worth. It's certainly worth renting.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote