Thread: Starcraft 2
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Dual core. Assume I don't know anything. What do I need to get? Is it software or hardware?

How can a good computer be obsolete in less than a year? Why don't they design games that work on relatively older computers?
It's not so much that a good computer is obsolete but your computer was never designed for gaming in the first place. Even a 3 years ago, that computer would not have been good for gaming.

Unfortunately, with the way computers are sold, most manufacturers skimp out on the graphics card to cut costs as most consumers won't notice it and by the time they realize they want to play something, they realize they should have bought something else earlier or have to purchase a better graphics card or other hardware (faster CPU, more ram, better powersupply).

That said, a gaming capable computer can always be had very cheaply. I bet for what you paid for that computer a year ago, you could have had a decent gaming PC, you just bought the wrong one.

Right now, your best option is to buy a new dedicated 3D graphics card since you are running on integrated video. Do you know how many watts your powersupply is? Do you know if your motherboard has a full size PCI-E slot? If so you can probably spend $100-$200 and get a decent mid-tier graphics card for SC2, plug it in, and be good to go.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-09-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote