View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #126
Converge
Draft Pick

Default Part 2

FORWARDS
75 C Armstrong, John (R)
- Armstrong looked like I expected him too. For the most part his game was simply more mature than most other players at the camp. Had a good shot that he used a couple times. Did not participate in all drills today though.

49 C Arnold, Bill (R)
- Arnold kind of looks like a hybrid of two other American prospects at the camp; Marvin and Larson. He brings the size and physical edge that Marvin does, though not nearly to the same degree, as well as the offensive strengths of Larson, but not nearly as good, yet. He likes to shoot the puck and compete hard. His large size really helps him battle for the puck. Arnold has a lot of promising tools, but has a long way to go before he even gets a look for a spot in Abbotsford.

60 C Backlund, Mikael (L)
- Backlund's skating is easily the best at camp. Him and Rheault have very similar speed and acceleration, but Mikael's technique and mechanics puts him on another level. Displays a very complete two-way game, as well as a well rounded offensive game; he can both pass and shoot very well. There are no apparent holes in Backlund's game, he is ready for the NHL.

74 C Carpentier, Hugo (L)
- I'm not sure if Hugo actually skated the full day. I don't think I saw him once in the afternoon, or really in the morning either. He was definitely there in the morning for a little while though.

77 C Marvin, Aaron (L)
- I don't think Marvin skated today. Didn't see him. Looked for him. Still couldn't find him.

71 C Patterson, Gaelan (L)
- Gaelan looks to be a very complete player with the skill-set (as much as I hate to give a player a cookie cutter ceiling for potential) of a third liner. He has good size and works hard. His shot is good, and he's pretty good at deking as well.

59 C Reinhart, Max (L)
- Reinhart didn't really impress me in any area all week long, but didn't look bad anywhere either. Smart offensively and didn't look out of place at all today.

52 C Wahl, Mitch (R)
- Mitch Wahl was the biggest surprise of the week for sure, I didn't expect him to be this good. He might even be, maybe, the next best prospect in the Flames system beside Backlund. Although his speed is nothing to write home about, his skating is very nice; smooth and clean in his strides with great balance. His shot, as I've said before, is phenomenal, and not that far from Backlund's. I can't wait to see how he performs in Abbotsford, we might have a very special player in Wahl.

46 LW Bancks, Carter (L)
- Bancks was pretty bad all week, although he looked better today and started scoring some goals, his skating looked messy and his shot was very weak most of the week.

68 LW Bennett, Spencer (L)
- Bennet has looked a lot like Patterson, with a bit better skating. Besides that the two look very similar actually, with a slight edge in skill going to Gaelan, but Spencer uses his large frame to beat smaller defenders very well.

57 LW Bouma, Lance (L)
- Bouma's skating is his weakest ability by far. His offensive skill is not really that strong either, but his defensive and physical play is very, very strong. Loves to throw hits just for the sake of crushing someone into the boards, will probably be a bottom-six guy in his career.

79 LW Ferland, Michael (L)
- Ferland improved all week long, peaking today in the afternoon. His offensive skills are really starting to show, and his game looked comparable to those Patterson and Bennett, which is great being that this is only his first camp.

73 LW Grantham, Ryley (L)
- Did not skate.

58 LW Larson, Nick (L)
- Larson was up there with Wahl and Deilert as one of the most impressive and surprising players of the week. His shot is just behind Wahl's and Backlund's, but he has a quicker realease (seriously, he can get a shot off faster than Backlund). Loves to have the puck on his stick, loves to dangle, and loves to try exciting plays in the offensive zone. His skating is average, but at times struggled with control in some of the more difficult drills. I really, really like this guy, and he is exactly what we need more of in Abbotsford.

38 LW MacMillan, Logan (L)
- Did not skate.

72 LW Severyn, C.J. (L)
- Severyn came out swinging in the first day, and trended downward after that. C.J. has a good shot that he can get off quickly and showed an above average skating ability, but needs to play a more complete game to make it to the next level.

39 RW Cameron, Bryan (R)
- Cameron's best day was today for sure. He finally showed why (and how) he scored 53 goals this past season for the Colts. He used his shot a lot and stood out in the offensive zone. Interested to see how he performs in the AHL next year.

78 RW Holland, Patrick (R)
- Holland was probably the least noticable guy all week. Nothing special, not a lot to say here.

64 RW Howse, Ryan (L)
- Howse finally (thank god) showed some offensive prowess with his shooting today. He was able to make plays and score some goals, I liked what I saw. I hope he can come out of the gates flying next season and put together a great start and make a push for the Canadian WJC team. Howse still needs to work on many areas of his game before he is ready to turn pro though.

48 RW Nemisz, Greg (R)
- Nemisz's skating looked worse as the week went on. Not unbearable, but not very nice. Decent technique, but quite slow for a prospect with top-six hopes (and expectations) for his career. Defensively responsible and very mature for his age. His hands are his best asset by far. He has the ability to make his opponents look silly, but he just doesn't use his stick skills enough. Shot also needs work, but he's very good infront of the net. Nemisz is starting to look like a bit of a playmaker, he really likes to pass the puck, and is actually very good at it.

47 RW Rheault, Jon (R)
- Rheault looked unimpressive today. His skating looked great in the morning as usual, but he didn't stand out at all in the afternoon. He needs to be more consistent in his performance.

Notes: Aaron Marvin did not skate today. Bancks, Cameron, Severyn, Carpantier, Bouma, and Arnold all skated with the defencemen this morning.

Looks like this will be the last report, as the 9:00 session tomorrow morning appears to be cancelled.

I don't know if anyone is really enjoying reading these, but I've got nothing better to do. lol
Converge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to Converge For This Useful Post: