View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm not truly getting why the people that want to buy property and live downtown should get tax breaks. You bought property that you knew was more expensive or valuable because of its location, and in an assesment based tax system you knew you were going to pay a tax premium on that property., and with luck you'll profit from that decision someday.

The legitimate complaint is about the distribution of tax dollars, you want more spending on the inner city infrastructure. That I can respect, there should be a more equitable split on projects.

I'm all for finding ways to get out of towners to pay their share for using our infrastructure, but don't they pay provincial taxes, and we get a chunk of infrastructure dollars from the province?

I think the laws are different in municipalities between the U.S. and Canada, I don't think Canadian Cities can authorize a health tax or junk food tax, and whats the city going to use a junk food tax for? Is it going to go into general revenues, because if thats how it works I'd rather have the province enact that kind of tax and funnel the money into health care initiatives, then let the city use it on unrelated projects.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote