View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
The remaining jets just completed a major update and in systems and weapons terms are in really good shape. The helmet mounted cueing system in particular is a huge leap forward. The Norad commander recently commented that the Canadian jets are some of the most advanced he has in inventory other than the F-22's.

However in terms of airframe life, these are getting to be very tired jets. We performed a centre barrel replacement in some of our jets at great time and expense which gives them a little more life, but with the airframe stresses that a combat jet is subjected to they have definite service lives which is fast approaching.

As for the JSF, I am not sold at all. These are very much "paper" jets still.

There are enormous cost overruns and the test program is far, far behind. The performance numbers we've seen so far are not impressive. It is overweight. The software code to fly the jet is still in its infancy, let alone the coding for the sensors and weapons systems. It is somewhat stealthy from the front aspect only, no where close to an F-22 overall. All of the other international partners are putting on the brakes for these reasons (the spiraling cost one of the biggest factors).

A competition is by far the preferable route to replace the 18's in my humble opinion. The Eurofighter, the Gripen NG and the Super Hornets with the coming uprated engines look like they might be quite competitive.
Awesome, From what I read the F-18's are starting to develop microfractures in the air frames which is starting to become a fairly serious problems. Electronic wise the CF is still very advanced, but there's only so much more upgrading that they can do.

I do agree with the JSF evaluation here, while its a really neat concept for a multirole jet with some stealth capability, I don't know if it really fits in with what Canada wants to accomplish. My preference would be to go to the Super Hornet which is an excellent plane and will give a long service life. The transitional training for aircrew and pilots will be a lot shorter as well.

I'd love to see a run off for Canada's airforce love. But I'd prefer to stay with one of the American made jets just because of our close ties within Norad.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote