View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #20
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet because I just skimmed through the second half of the thread, but here's a good write-up from Maclean's about tipping (not that I necessarily agree with Mr. Coyne.)

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/lifes..._110870_110870
I totally agree with Mr. Coyne - charge the appropriate amount for your service and pay your staff accordingly. If you want to be an upscale restaurant, you will have to pay more for your staff, and if you want to eat upscale, you will pay for that. Supply and demand will dictate which restaurants will get the most business.

I don't tip my masseuse or my mechanic or the maid and I won't (I do tip my hair dresser - see my comment about hot chicks). If the rate they are charging for their service is inadequate, time to raise your price. If you are a good service, people will use your service. I tip at restaurants simply out of a social obligation (and I don't tip for bad service). I am sure I tip hot chicks more than male waiters. Taking a flat gratuity for service on a large table is ridiculous - if it costs more to serve ten people than two put in a surcharge - but I am sure that cost of serving a larger group should be less per person than a smaller group.

Perhaps restaurants should have a table charge of say - $5 per head, and that goes to pay servers etc and then the food and such would be the variable cost.

Last edited by edn88; 04-27-2010 at 12:59 PM.
edn88 is offline   Reply With Quote