View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #1038
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
It never hurts to check both. I see sites like Kayak/Orbitz more as just a tool to find the best prices, you'll rarely see better prices on there than on the airline sites themselves.

On the other hand, I've found it's also rare to find much lower prices on the airline sites than on Kayak/Orbitz/etc. They all file their fares to the same places and are essentially grabbing their fares from the same database.

Depending on what date you're coming back, it seems to me that Delta is actually cheapest ($454 after tax) if you flew Oct 26 to Nov 2.

For flights leaving on Oct 24 however, Continental does seem cheapest, showing at $559 after tax on Kayak which seems to mirror what's showing on Continental.com at $548 USD.

What prices are you seeing on Continental/American versus the 'search engines' ? What dates?
Well, we are looking to make it a bit longer of a trip than originally planned. Oct. 24th to Nov. 14 (3 weeks) is our preferred dates. We decided since we will be in Florida, it would be a good opportunity to take a short cruise to see if we may want to consider that for a future vacation.

Anyways, I have discovered that prices fluctuate many times during the day and it also seems like its actually cheaper to grab one way flights rather than return packages.

Here is what I have put on hold with American Airlines. Keep in mind these are one way fares. Also these, prices have changed a few times during the day today. Its like pulling a roullette wheel!

Oct. 24th - Calgary to Orlando
$256/person

Nov. 14th - Orlando to Calgary
$164/person

There is certainly some money to be saved if we switched to a Tuesday or Thursday departure/arrival, but for the savings it provides you also lose weekends where I dont have to use vacation days.

Lots of things to consider when looking at these rates.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote