View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I don't know what kind of business model they're running but I don't disagree with them. The Calgary Flames should be filling the bills if their farm is short not the city, it is a private business isn't it?
this may sound weird, but I think it is unlikely the Flames have anything to do with this. They run the hockey opperations (players, coaches, trainers, hockey management and related salaries); Lane Sweeting and his group run the business side (tickets, marketing, travel, building ops).

This is a deal between Sweeting and the city of Abbotsford. Abbotsford built the arena without having a tenant. In order to get an AHL franchise, they had to meet certain requirements (upgraded scoreboard, locker rooms and training room, iirc). A deal signed in good faith by both parties.

This latest development is Abbotsford city council putting money into their investment. They had a choice not to, and the citizens can be upset that politicians spent taxpayer money in this way, but the Flames are bystanders, and Lane Sweeting et al are beneficiaries who would have to be stupid to turn this down
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post: