View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #45
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Thats why we need hard labour sentences that can generate money for these convicts sentences. I'm all for bringing back road gangs who can clear areas, do road repair, repair buildings etc.

While there are more lenient systems out there, I'm betting that the complaints from the people there are similar.

While part of prison sentences have to take rehabilitation into account our prisons do have that aspect, there has to be both a punishment associated with the crime and a public safety aspect.

In this guys case, he's a multiple offender so obviously going easy on him didn't work, he continued the behavior, plus the drunk driving crime is inexusible and selfish, there's no excuse for it.

5 years might be fine depending on how long he served, even though I don't believe it because he murdered this woman in what I interpret as an intentional manner. I have a lot of trouble with a limited driving ban as well.

Though they aren't exactly "chain gangs" per se, I see a gang of prisoners every day on some point of the interstates around here...and they are keeping the medians and ditched litter free.

You know you are cooming up on them as the bus will be pulled over at the side towing a port-a-potty, and DOC written all over everything. Then sure enough at some point in the next mile or so, there they are, usually about 20 of em...filling bag after bag full of garbage. Its a great idea as it serves a public purpose and lets those guys get out of the prison for a while and get some excercise.

The first time I saw them however, i was kind of taken aback as there are always two guards, one at the front of the group and one at the back, and they tore the biggest freaking shotguns I have even seen. Being new from Canada where you just dont see a lot of guns in pubklic period, it kind of freaked me out, but have since come to understand why they use them.