View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #58
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Any tips from the resident Italians for how to make a perfect Rissotto?
I'm not Italian, but I make risotto all the time because its awesome. There's millions of different things you can put into a risotto but my favourite is pancetta and mushrooms.

The first tip I have is to make your own stock. I usually take a day a month or so and make stock when I'm doing laundry or something like that. It's dead easy and most of it is just waiting. I just buy two whole chickens and butcher into wings, breasts, legs, and thighs and save those for making other things. The rest of the meat and bones go into a pot with water, root vegtables (carrots, onion, celery), some herbs (bay leaves, parsely and sprigs of whatever leftover herbs I have in the fridge), peppercorns and a bit of salt. Then just let it boil for a couple hours and strain when done. What I don't use right away I freeze.

Second thing I find important is to use real parmesean. Don't skimp, its expensive, but worth it. And don't buy the pre-grated stuff either; they usually mix in cheaper cheese with it. Grate it yourself.

Last thing that I find makes risotto great is butter. Don't use margarine or any sort of a butter subsitute. Use the real stuff, and add a generous portition (along with some parmesean) just before its done.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackEleven For This Useful Post: