View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #19
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
It's just the bottom of it. I didn't really think it was that much, but I am no expert. Only doing what the Itai told me to do. As for getting another pan dirty, it's not that big of a deal is it? I brown the meat, and then wash it.
If you deglaze that pan with something and then add it to the sauce it would be better. You are washing away a lot of tasty flavour from that second pan. Or try browning the meat in your first pot before you add the garlic.

A few of my tips:

By tongs, lots of tongs! They are like $1 and have a million uses.

Having a few pans/pots that are oven safe is important

Store Cilantro, parsley, and asparagus with their stems in 1" of water. They will last much longer.

A good chefs knife and a steel are also key. Most cuts in the kitchen happen because the knife is too dull.

Get to know your kitchen! Every oven, burner, and microwave work differently - understand this when following recipies!

Put hooks on your wall. I hang around 1/2 of my tools (spoons, spatulas, tongs etc.) It really helps remove clutter from other areas (especially in tiny kitchens like mine).

If you have the room and the time, save your trimmings in your fridge/feezer and make your own stocks. The difference in taste is outstanding.

If you want to precut/prepeel potatos or carrots (or anything else that will bruise over time) you can just store them in a bucket of water. They will retain their color for about a week. For apple/pear, add 1/5 part lemon juice.

Season everything with salt and pepper. Seriously.

Tasty recipe:

1-Roast off some 1/4 tomatos with Olive oil, SnP, and oregano (350ish).

2-Roast a baking sheet covered with 2" diameter circles of fresh grated parmesan at around 375. Be sure to use parchement paper.

3-After about 10 or 15 minutes the parmesan circles will cook into crackers. Top with a tomato.

The crackers are very salty, so when topped with a savoury roast tomato, they are great. It makes a great appettizer, and people are always impressed with the fact that cheese alone can make a cracker.

I will have more for another time. I love to cook, have worked in several kitchens, and am thinking about getting properly trained in the culinary arts.

Flames-Flyers-Stamps-Jays
ShaolinFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShaolinFlame For This Useful Post: